90210 Solid Laughs At Behind The Scenes Drama In New Reunion Particular: “I Was Wanting To Strangle That Little Chick”
“90210 was way more interesting behind the scenes than it was in front of the camera,” says Shenae Grimes Beech in the surprisingly juicy ET Presents… 9021OMG! The Cast Tells All Special, now streamed on CW Seed.
We say “surprising” because, as you can remember from TVLine’s breathless coverage, Beech fought for a virtual meeting with her colleagues in April. How many new stories could they possibly have to tell? … As it turns out, a lot.
Of course, the cast has a lot of fun remembering the show’s intricate dynamics behind the scenes: “We were kids,” says Jessica Stroup. “We literally grew up together. We were family and we fought like family. Adds Jessica Lowndes, “And I stayed out of all of this!” (Hey, as Whitney Rose of The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City recently put it, “Everyone needs Switzerland.”)
Regarding her not-so-alleged feud with Beech, AnnaLynne McCord admits that “tempers flare up” and “things go crazy” after you’ve worked long hours on the set. “I wanted to strangle this chick,” she says, and can now laugh at small differences of opinion from another life. “I am so grateful for the past 24 hours [shooting] 90210, Shenae and I completely resolved our relationship problems. I ended up in England at their wedding! “
Now that we’ve got the drama out of the way, let’s break down some of the funnier moments from the 90210 reunion special:
* Hilary Duff was originally offered the role of Annie Wilson, and Beech recalls, “I had been lying in wait for a month and 100 percent thought this was not going to happen. To say I loved it would be an understatement. I couldn’t believe I saw my picture next to Hilary Duffs all over the internet. “
* Trevor Donovan admits that even by CW standards he was “extraordinarily old” to play a student. He briefly discusses the negative backlash he received on social media when he was cast as a teenager at age 30, before realizing that Michael Steger was 29 when he was cast. Ryan Eggold was only 25 years old now … and he played her teacher.
* Although Dustin Milligan will not be interviewed for this special, the subject of Ethan’s abrupt departure between the first two seasons of the show is briefly touched upon. Based on the things we have heard in the past, the exit is attributed to “creative differences”. The producers wanted to take the role originally developed as a comedic in a more dramatic direction, and it just didn’t work. (Well, we’d say it worked out for Milligan. Eh, Schitt’s Creek fans?)
* Tristan “Mack” Wilds is known to have fallen asleep filming a hospital scene on season five of the show, and that reunion finally gives him the opportunity to explain, “The reason I remember it so vividly is that I’m sick was, ”he says. “So I came on the set and they said, ‘You don’t have a lot to do. You just have to lie in bed. ‘And I was gone. The baby is gone. Knocked the park. Path. I never felt [worse] or laughed at me harder. “
* Tori Spelling was thrilled to repeat the role of Donna Martin, but regrets telling the producers that her character should now be an international fashion designer. “I screwed myself,” she admits in a new interview, remembering how nervous she was about having to speak Japanese.
* Speaking of nerves: Olympian Ryan Lochte also gives a new interview about his season 5 cameo. “I remember being nervous because I didn’t know how to act or anything,” he says, recalling “a lot of repetitions”.
* The special also touches on Meghan Markle’s infamous appearance in the pilot in which her character appears [dot dot dot] on ethane. “She was a lady, I was a gentleman,” says Milligan in a separate interview on the red carpet. “And that’s all I can say about it.” There seems to be some confusion about how long Markle’s character should stay, but as far as McCord is concerned, her days were always numbered: “[Markle’s character] was a bit ho with [Naomi’s] Friend, so we’d never be friends. “
* We all know that the planned sixth season of 90210 would be a significant leap in time, but the special contains a few more details that we hadn’t heard before. “We wanted to delve into the inner workings of Hollywood – the LA lifestyle,” says Lanter. McCord adds, “Naomi had become Olivia Pope in Scandal, and she was such a Boss B. I read [the script] and I said ‘yes!’ “Even Wilds admits,” It would have taken 90210 to the next level. “
Your thoughts on the last 90210 reunion? Are you still hoping that one day we can find a decent ending for these characters, or have you made peace with where they left off? Whatever you think write it in a comment below.